Labels


Dangerous Beauty : LeAventure

Lea Hernandez makes a blog just in case LiveJournal really bites it.

06:16

Finding out, 11 days after my first skate in ages, that I have injured my rotator cuff.
"Third fall was hard enough that I bruised the heel of my left hand even though I wear heavy-duty wrist protectors. I also wrenched the feck out of my shoulder, which I didn't notice until later."

Pure genius!

The girl child's birthday party was in the park yesterday. We actually had guests! After serving cake and opening loot, I took them on a hike where we listened to birds, saw frogs no bigger than two capital "A's" stacked together,, and watched dragonflies zizz around eating mosquitoes.
Even the children on the hike who "couldn't" climb did it! We took a pretty challenging path up, and the group took to it like...like...like city kids who are delighted to climb. There were many high fives at the top.
After a quick dash to the nearby gas station for more ice, the party made shake-it ice cream (http://ousd.k12.ca.us/~codypren/ice.html). (We did an individual-scale version with snack-sized bags for the milk, and quart bags for the ice.)
I thought these kids were in transport at seeing the eensy frogs and getting to do some serious cliff-climbing until they all were eating ice cream they'd frozen themselves from cups of sugared milk.
The menfolk stuck together and went home early, taking with them the keys to the van that was supposed to get myself, the girl, my friend and her two kids home. My friend's husband is not the sort who realizes he's carried off things. We got a ride home in someone else's van, read emails and had tea. The men were sent out to retieve vehicles later.

Really an awesome party and day. Cost, including cake that was completely devoured (yay!), party favors and table decor (yay Party City!): under $50.
In a city where people hire cheerleading squads to entertain at grade-schooler's parties, and hire moon bounces (there was one in the park!) this is an achievement.



0 comments:

Post a Comment